Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Be all you that you can be.... in the WARD CHOIR

So I am a fan of Ward Choir, no matter what. Having been a ward choir director before, and given the calling to uplift and beautify the sacred Sacrament meeting, there is no excuse good enough for me to miss attending choir practice (well, unless I am out of town or deathly ill, or... dead). So far, in my new ward, the Choir has been rather sparsely put together. About 3 altos, 3 sopranos, and 4 men have been present at choir. I think the numbers make it more of an ensemble, than an actual choir, but no matter. The ward choir director has had to resort to bribes just to get people to show to choir. I think that is humiliating on his part, and shameful on all of the ward choir members who attend just for the free food. But what I have found is that most of the ward members have a list of things that deter them from attending choir. Here's the thing that most people here about ward choir that isn't true.
1. You have to read music (False. You do not have to read music, in fact, ward choir is the perfect place to LEARN this skill)
2. You have to be a _____ (insert one of these adjectives: Good, professional, loud, experienced etc) Singer. (False. Though, it is nice to have a few people who are each of these things, it is also important to have novice, quiet, okay, and yes, even BAD singers in the choir.)
3. You have to know Italian. (False. Though technically alot of the dynamics for music are in fact, Italian, the only person who really needs to know what they all mean is the ward choir director and the accompanist, and they can act as "interpreters" for you.)
4. Ward Choir is boring. (False. It is all about attitude. If you are telling yourself it's going to be boring and a waste of time, then that's what it's going to be for you. If you look at it as a time to learn beautiful church music and get to know more ward members and make friends, you are the time is going to fly by.)
5. You have to sing solos. (False. The choir director will be sensitive to your desires to not do this, and will not make you sing one if you don't want to. )
I could continue making more points about the fallacies of ward choir, but this is really my point: Everyone should be in the ward choir or at least allow and encourage family members to be in it. It should be open to the young and the old, the good and the tone deaf, because in the end, the Lord proclaimed "Make a joyful NOISE". He didn't say "Thou shalt have no other choirs except those who are like unto the Mormon Tabernacle Choir". So don't be in such a rush to get home after church, and drop by your nearest ward choir practice, you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Sheena said...

What great encouragement! Mat and I have started to go to our ward choir...and for a little while we've taken a break (Lana can barely handle the 3 hour block) but I think we'll try again. Especially cause the holidays are coming up! BTW, I always think of you when I sing in choir. I think to myself, "I wish I had a voice like Trina." Remember when you tried to give me lessons? haha