Friday, September 26, 2008

Obsessing about... Weight

One thing that always seems to be hovering around in my mind is the "weight" issue. It's constantly there, nagging and eating away at my self confidence. I know that I no longer have the excuse of "I just had a baby" for the reason why I still have all the extra poundage on my person, so I know that its definitely time to take a more active role in trying to get rid of all that weight that I still carry around.
But losing weight is so psychological and emotional for me, as I am sure it is with most people who want to lose more than 5 pounds. For me, the way I look is connected to the way I feel, and being overweight or not makes up the majority of how I feel about the way I look. The skinniest I have ever been in my adult life has been a size 12 and weighing about 160 pounds. That is still considered overweight for my height and age. But at that size, I felt really good, as in, I felt attractive and cute and active and healthy. Right now, I am squeezing in to my size 16, and weigh (deep breath) 196.4 pounds. So I guess the first step to making things right, is admitting that I have some things "wrong" to work on. So to all of you my friends who read this, this is me opening myself up to scrutiny and criticism, in the attempt to inspire myself to do SOMETHING about it. I am no weight guru, and definitely do not have all the answers, but I am going to attempt to journal my progress, or lack there of on this forum.
Today is week 1, Day 4 of my attempt to get rid of my spare tire. Here's the break down of what I've done or thought about so far.
I bought a little notebook that I write down everything I eat. I am hoping that it will make me a little more self-motivated to not eat so much as I will have to write it down later. The next step will be to become more physically active. This is a little more complicated than I first thought. The original plan was to go for walks in the morning after Jada takes off for kindergarten. But somehow, in the ensuing weeks, this has not happened. I don't know if it would be better to try do do exercise tapes at home, or invest in an elliptical machine or something, so that I can put Gabe in his playpen or while he's taking a nap, get in a few minutes of exercise. The other option is getting a gym membership, but that one is pretty much nullified as I would have to pay or find someone to watch my kids while I went, and I most likely wouldn't get my money's worth out of going to the gym. Yesterday, as I attempted to do one of the exercise tape work outs, every few minutes I had to stop because my son was crying or needed my attention for one reason or another, but I did congratulate myself on making an effort, though I didn't make it through half the tape. I was thinking of it as interval training, but I don't really think "interval" in this sense is stopping to pick up your child.
Tonight after dinner, my family and I went for a walk, and I alternately walked and jogged around the school ground until I made a mile. I felt good afterwards, like I had accomplished something, and it was easy to finish the mile, as my husband was playing with the kids at the playground and it allowed me 20 minutes of uninterrupted time to myself.
So Tuesday is my weigh-in day. I'll journal on Tuesdays to keep y'all posted on my progress. I bought a Weight Watchers scale so that I can keep track of even the slightest drop or gain in weight as it is more precise. (Instead of the scale just reading 196, it says 196.4) I suppose I should have a goal, so I have something more tangible to work towards, so my first goal is to lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks. That's about 1.66 pounds a week to lose.
Beginning Weight 196.4
Week 1/6
Goal: 10 pounds.

3 comments:

DeAnne said...

bravo to you for being so open about this. hey, maybe we can trade clothes :) when i saw you at costco, i thought you looked great! but i totally hear ya on this one. i need to get my butt in gear big time! you are beautiful!

Unknown said...

girlfriend! I am totally there with you! I'm trying to lose weight too! i have 30 more pounds to go!! I totally know what you mean about trying to work out with a baby! Good luck!

Katrina said...

Thanks for the support. Hey DeAnne, I can't access your blog... why is that?