Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pres. Uchtdorf's talk and how do I apply it to myself?

I am sure that most of you women out there who read this blog went to the General Relief Society Broadcast last night. As you know, President Uchtdorf spoke on two principles to make us happy. I would like to speak a little about the first one, "create something".

I want to do this really badly, but I haven't quite found my niche in what I find joy in creating. I've tried my hand at scrap booking, and that's okay, but I want to find something that I am really good at, that when I look at the finished product, I feel satisfied.

Most of you might think that music does that for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't. I hear to many imperfections in my voice and "know" too much about all the things that are flawed about it to really find that kind or satisfaction with my own voice. Though, running off that thought, I get alot of satisfaction singing in a choir or ensemble that makes beautiful music, so maybe that's the way to go. Maybe I need to find some people who, like me, like to create beautiful music together. So that's one option.

But, I would like to find out if I have other abilities in creating something that is worthwhile and satisfies me. Any suggestions? What do you all create that gives you this happy, satisfied, complete feeling? How should I get started?

I guess I can also look at "creating" myself a fabulously healthy body, which if you read my previous post, you already know about this goal.

As Pres. Uchtdorf said, the creation doesn't have to be perfect, and it can be as simple as creating laughter in the home, or beautifying a space. I guess the only way to test this all out is to give it a "go" and see if I find just as much happiness in creating something as our Heavenly Father found creating us.

The other aspect of finding peace and happiness that he shared was compassionate service. Actually doing my visiting teaching each month might be a start. What kinds of compassionate service do you do? Maybe getting more involved in my daughters school, or getting to know my neighbors and finding out what their needs are. Or maybe there is a family member who is in need of my service, whether it be babysitting for a few hours, or taking someone to the doctors, or just sitting around and talking and spending some quality time with a family member that seems to be left out. Or maybe its calling the sister that you don't talk to very often (or all of them, for that matter). As you can see, there are lots of things that I can do, but what I need to do, is actual choose one and act on it. I think I'll make it a matter of prayer and see what direction HF wants me to take on all of this.

OH, and P.S. I made a chocolate cake substituting eggs for the eggs substitute stuff, and vegetable oil for applesauce, and you know what? I couldn't taste a difference. Now I just need to find a healthy substitute for frosting... any ideas? In all, I think it wiped off about 80 calories per serving by using the applesauce and egg substitute.
Gabe is enjoying the chocolate cake too.

2 comments:

DeAnne said...

Hmmm. well. that's the thing, it is so specific to each individual that it's hard to say what you should try. for example, i have wanted to learn how to quilt for several years. last year i took a beginner class, loved it and now really enjoy quilting. am i the best? no way! but it is fun and satisfying to me. maybe there is something that you have always wanted to do...so find a way to learn how to do it. no one is going to be great at anything the first time they do it. we get better through experience, but if we don't at least start, we won't ever get anywhere. i thought it was a great talk! i also think one of the points he made was to not be so hard on ourselves. easier said than done for a woman. i think it's important to do something for you that makes you happy, and not do it to try to keep up with everyone around you. it's good to appreciate the strengths others have as well and not let someone elses strength be your weakness. ok. enough rambling thoughts from deanne :)

Unknown said...

I forgot so I think I'm just going to go this weekend and watch it in the CAC. BUT I'd say that all those things sound good to me. I love to embroider and have had no time to really get INTO it. BUT when I DO have the time, I don't. so I better get my act together too. I also enjoy making cards. but i'm really not that creative. anyway. i'd say you should do ALL of them! Just work on one day and the other another and yeah...but that's a lot though isn't it?