Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On-line at the library

I gotta make this quick, as my timer keeps ticking to let me know just how much of an hour I have to write this blog. It's stressful having a time limit on my computer usage ( I only get 2 hours a day). But what's really stressful is trying to use the computer when your 9 month old and 5 and-a-half year old are accompanying you. Normally, my timing is a little better, but today is absolutely the worst! Gabriel refused to fall asleep on the way over, and he has continued to try to get every patron of the library to give us the "evil eye". You know, the "why is that mother here in a library with a baby? UGH, can't she just leave?! She's interrupting my thoughts as I try to find out what's the latest with Britany Spears!" He's also throwing his Binky, spitting his cheerios out and refusing a bottle. Just at that moment, a librarian approaches me, and I had this sinking feeling he was going to ask us to leave, but to my surprise he said, " Would you like to use a laptop? It will probably be easier to manoeuvre with a baby." With a grateful sigh, I said "YES". So now, I am sitting on a couch in the children's section, feeling somewhat better even though my kids are continuing to make noise and even pull some books off the shelves, but in THAT section, it seems to be okay, and somewhat expected.
Since we moved to Shoreline, the only Internet access I have is at my local library. I walk there almost everyday when Jada returns from Kindergarten. It's a great library. I remember how much I used to love the library when I was a kid, and back then, it didn't have any computers. In fact, to find a book, you still had to use a card catalog. So, when I write on my blog, it's most likely going to be from the library.
Now that I have had the above experience, at least now I know to ask for a lap top computer when I first enter the doors, and save myself the embarrassment of 50 different pairs of eyes willing me and my "attachments" to burst into flames.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that the librarian was willing to help you instead of asking you to leave. What a great person! Good luck with the library!