Friday, December 12, 2008

Have yourself a merry little Christmas

I love Christmas time. I love singing all the songs and listening to all the music. I love at nighttime when you drive about town or the neighborhood you'll see splashes of Christmas lights and decorations in yards. I love that I just found an herbal tea called "Christmas sugar cookie" and I love that every night you can find a Christmas movie or themed show going on. I love that things that are normally taken for granted, such as religion, family, service, goodwill all seem to come out in people and they pay more attentions to what is truly important. I love hearing the jingling of the bells as the salvation army volunteers stand out in the cold weather and raise money for those less fortunate than I. I love making Christmas candies and goodies and giving them out to friends and neighbors.I love watching the snow fall down on a dark winter's night when the stars are out and the world feels hushed and at peace. I love my Savior and what Christmas time really means to me and what profound changes a tiny baby can have on the world.
I think too often at Christmas time we get caught up in some of the festivities and traditions and forget why this holiday is actually called Christmas. What have we done so far to remember Christ and celebrate Christ's birth so far this season? Have you been a little more charitable? Have you done anything to help you feel the Christmas spirit a little more? Have you read the Christmas story from Luke 2? Have you played or sung any Christmas hymns that focus on Christ, and not Santa or his reindeer? What have you done to celebrate Christ? If you can't list more than two things, than I say we need to do more! I have heard people say that they wished that the "feeling" they got at Christmas time would last all year round, but how can it if we don't do anything to incorporate the true meaning of Christmas into our lives or into hearts? I know that I need to do this, probably more than anything, and maybe I should be asking myself, what gift can I give to my Savior this year? Maybe instead of planning a New Year's resolution, I should be gifting away one of my bad habits weaknesses and trying to replace it with something that will bring me closer to Christ this year? I don't know, but maybe if I do this instead of setting some unattainable goal, I'll actually be committed to doing it, not only this year, but for my whole life if necessary.
So anyway, think about it. Think what you can "give" to the Savior instead of what Santa or your family members can give to you, and you might find that you have that "Christmas feeling" still with you in June.
Merry Christmas

No comments: